Why is there a need for a state trade association when there is a national trade association that is already in existence?
A state trade association is able to tackle the legislative issues that are unique to that state that will strengthen the industry.
What benefits would a tour company gain from joining a state trade association in the student travel industry?
1) As education is more powerful on a state and local level, the decisions that affect the student travel industry are impacted by the governments on state and local level. Legislative initiatives are effective on those same levels.
2) There is a much closer network of communication among Superintendents and School Boards on a state level, as opposed to a national level. A state trade association can influence the conversation between Districts about the benefits of student travel.
3) A state trade association can be the unifying voice to the Districts in response to issues of concern, i.e. travel safety or health safety. Becoming the familiar voice to the Districts, the association can, also, be the authoritative voice in response to those areas of concern.
4) As we have already experienced in dealing with challenges in various Districts, we are stronger when we work together.
Is the legislative initiative proposed the only goal of FASET?
We are pleased to say that, as an association, we are determined to set out to accomplish our objectives. The legislative agenda had been decided by a group of tour operators who saw the need to streamline the process of approval to alleviate the burden on the Districts. That objective is close to being met in the Legislature in Tallahassee. Next on the agenda would be to aid in the discussion of implementation. The Board of Directors, along with members would, together, decide next objectives. This is a team effort. It is fantastic to have your voice heard and ideas implemented.
Would the cost for membership remain the same every year?
As membership increases, the cost can be re-evaluated by the Board and membership based on the future goals and objectives decided in Parliamentary procedure.
Why are these the specific requirements?
We are keeping consistent with requirements of the particular Districts within Florida.
What is the benefit for a statewide approval of tour operators in the State of Florida?
1) Prohibits a potential of mismanagement of communication on a District level
2) Provides an atmosphere of encouraging student travel throughout the state. Education is a top down industry. A list from the Department of Education would convey the support for student travel.
3) Returns the state of Florida to the place it was before RFP’s or ITB’s
4) Level the playing field for all tour operators, no matter the size of the company. More choices for educators means the best value and service for the students of Florida.
What if there was another trade association developed in another state? Would the same fees be required for that state?
The size and scope of the issue to be addressed in another state would determine the need for yearly fees in that state. Reciprocity of associations would be discussed with the Boards of each association.